Saturday, June 19, 2010

Korean New Year’s

I must admit I’m surprised there haven’t been any New Year’s Eve stories posted this weekend. So I’ll share mine.

Being our first New Year’s Eve as a married couple, my wife and I decided to ring in the New Year with a date. We took in a veritable feast of Korean food at Hee Been, just off Little River Turnpike. If you’ve never been to Hee Been and like spicy foods I highly recommend it. The dinners are centered around Korean BBQ which is best when composed of several different marinated meats grilled at your table and enhanced with about 10 Korean side dishes (included in price) ranging from the identifiable to the “that’s going in my mouth?!” variety. In all the experience makes for a fun flavor-filled evening of food experimenting and on New Year’s it didn’t disappoint.

Hee Been
6231 Little River Turnpike, Alexandria, Va.
(703) 941-3737
(They also have an inexpensive lunch buffet which is a cheaper way to find out which Korean delicacies you like and which ones you don’t.)

After dinner, we had a quiet evening of ice cream and DVD’s until midnight when we scampered out to our cul-de-sac, in our bare-feet and pajamas, to watch the Old Town fireworks lighting up the Masonic Temple while hugging each other for warmth. As we stood there, fireworks blazing, freezing our toes off, hugging in a light drizzle I decided then and there that my resolution would be to have more evenings like this one in the New Year.

Originally published on January 3, 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment