Saturday, June 19, 2010

Uptown: King Kong

I consider the Uptown Theater to be one of DC’s great resources. There’s nothing I love more than going to see big event pictures at the Uptown and I’ve seen all the big ones of the last 12 years there.

I just got home from seeing Peter Jackson’s remake of "King Kong" at the Uptown and (while I’ll spare you a review) I have to say I think that it might be the best match for that giant screen out of any other movie I’ve seen there.

Jackson’s Kong is a movie fanatic’s wet dream, it’s got it all, and on such a large scale that only the Uptown can really do it justice. Tonight was a sublime movie-going experience. The audience was totally captivated and Kong, Skull Island, and 1930’s New York just looked so incredible up on DC’s premier movie screen that it almost made me want to shout out in a moment of sheer movie geek nirvana (which in fact I eventually did during the Bug Pit sequence).

If you like movies, do yourself a favor and go see "King Kong" at the Uptown, it is an incredible experience.

Originally published on December 17, 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment