Saturday, May 29, 2010

Bad Then, Good Now

Did anyone catch Anthony Williams official announcement that he isn’t running for re-election today at noon?

It was probably Tony’s best public appearance ever. He was playing it very informal with the crowd at the beginning, in fact I’ve never seen him so comfortable with an audience, then he launched in to a great speech recapping the transformation of DC that his administrations have achieved.

In the middle of a passionate reading of a list comparing mid-90’s DC to present DC – a bumble-bee attacked Williams’ wife (who is allergic) – Williams stopped his speech and tried to swat the bee – then turned the attack into a great impromptu laugh by saying “7 years as mayor, I finally get people listening to me, and along comes a damn bee to interrupt my speech. In short, DC – bad then, good now – all because I was your mayor!”

Originally published on September 29, 2005.

Anthony Williams was my favorite DC mayor.

No comments:

Post a Comment