Saturday, May 29, 2010

Happy Rockin’ Halloween!

This story has convinced me that when Dick Clark finally croaks he will be hosting a New Year’s type celebration in Hell on Halloween. Life is just that strange.

There has been a new twist in what is one fo the most bizarre stories I have been tracking for a long time. I first heard about Diamond Dead last spring. Rumours online were flying that Ridley and Tony Scott were producing a musical written by George Romero (Night of the Living Dead) with songs by Richard Hartley (Rocky Horror Picture Show). The musical which was to feature a murderous zombie rock band was intended as a blue-print for a movie of the same title.

As if this concept wasn’t bizarre enough sometime last spring it was leaked that Diamond Dead: The Musical was going to be workshopped in Washington DC! Why DC I wondered? And where in town were these test-runs going to take place? And how could I get access to such strange goings-on?

But then as the summer rolled on, I never heard anything else about the musical or the secret workshops in DC. Hence I stored the information as a bunk curiosity in the back of my very yummy brain.

Then I stumbled on something last night. I was wondering where on earth Asylum in Adam’s Morgan found room to have live bands play there (which is their latest gimmick). It’s a relatively tiny bar. Where the hell do the bands set-up and where is there room for an audience? (If you know please comment). I then got to thinking – what kind of bands will play at Asylum. So I checked the schedule and I found…this!

“Monday 10/31 – “NIGHT OF THE DIAMOND DEAD” From the creator of ‘Night of the Living Dead’ & The Composer of ‘The Rocky Horror Picture Show’. (A live performance by Diamond Dead)”

That’s right – Diamond Dead (the Romero/Hartley zombie band) will be playing at Asylum on Monday October 31st for Halloween! What in Hades?!

1. What the hell is this going to be like?
2. Will they be all done up in zombie make-up and stuff?
3. Did Diamond Dead actually test here during the summer after-all?
4. Why the heck would they be playing at Asylum? I’ve heard of flying under the radar – but Asylum?

I am completely intrigued by this – like Kolchak the Night-Stalker (the original not the lame ABC update) I vow here and now to go to this on Halloween and get to the bottom of this zombie mystery. More to follow…

In the meantime, you all have got to go here to watch the animated trailer for Diamond Dead: The Movie.

Originally published on October 12, 2005.

All of the web links for Diamond Dead are inactive in 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment