Saturday, May 29, 2010

TV God Walks Among Us

“The A-Team”, “The Rockford Files”, “Baretta”, “Black Sheep Squadron”, “The Greatest American Hero”, “Riptide”, “Hunter”, “21 Jump Street”, and “Wiseguy” these are just some of the television shows created by Stephen J. Cannell.

You remember him – the guy who at the end of almost every great 80’s tv show would be shown pounding on a typewriter and then he’d fling his finished page into the air? To me, growing up in the 80’s, this was an iconic image of imagination. I grew up with Cannell’s tv shows and I still remember that feeling I got whenever his production company’s logo would roll after each episode. I’d think “so that is what a writer looks like!”

Stephen J. Cannell may not have produced high-art with his extensive body of work, but he did produce several thousand hours of imaginative exciting television. I’d be lying if I denied the inspiration this gave me as a young kid with too much imagination and a knack for story-telling.

Tonight at the Bailey’s Crossroads Borders, this early hero of mine, this God of Television, will be signing his latest mystery thriller Cold Hit.

I’ll admit, I’ve never read a book by Stephen J. but I am sorely tempted to go down there tonight to tell the old scribbler what an impact he had on this young man to become a writer.

If you are a fan of his shows, his books, or if you were likewise inspired and want to get some face-time with Cannell the signing starts at 7:30.

Originally published on August 19, 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment