Monday, May 24, 2010

I meet the nicest people

Big Hunt – Saturday – some girls from Philly inherit our table as we get up to leave, but before we go they offer to buy us a drink. My buddy and I accept, then a little bantering around during which one girl observes how much “nicer” people are in DC than in Philadelphia. Too which I respond with my usual charming cynicism.

Later that night, around 3AM, I’m sitting on a stoop in front of a store on Connecticut Ave, sobering up, watching the parade of drunks staggering by, enjoying the cool breeze.

A woman pulls her black mercedes up to the curb in front of me. She yells out the window. I can’t hear her so I get up and walk over to the car. She asks for directions, I give her directions. Then she gives me a big smile and asks, “Watchoo doin’ on tha’ stump?” I explain as I did above and then she asks, “wanna go somewhere an’ party.”

While I declined her inivtation I thought “how nice of her to inivte me to a party just for helping her out with directions!”

I guess there just might be something to my temporary Philly friend’s friendliness of the District observation after all.

Originally published on July 10, 2005.

Yes, I realize now that she may have been a hooker.

No comments:

Post a Comment