Saturday, May 29, 2010

Speaking of Dave Grohl

Remember when Dave Grohl was in that DC band Scream? Man, that was a good band!

Back in the day when the Velvet Lounge first opened – I rolled in there for a martini with my buddy Josh. The place was a ghost town – as it often was in those days – except for these two dudes drinking at the bar – we didn’t know them so we figured we might as well start up some conversation. Turns out it was Dave Grohl and G. Love (as in “& Special Sauce”).

We were like, “Nirvana? Never heard of them.” And Dave Grohl laughed.

Then we had a grand old time getting ripped with those guys all night. Very down to earth, very not “famous.” Hardly a soul came through the Velvet Lounge that night and the few that did gave us plenty of space.

Ah those were the days. I bet if I were hanging at the Velvet Lounge with Dave Grohl this weekend I’d have an entirely different, very public drinking story to tell.

I bet not a single person would notice if I were there with that lame-o G. Love tho. Who names their kid G. Love anyway? “I’d like to teach the world to sing” – yeah buddy how about getting a full first name – then get back to me.

Originally published on October 13, 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment