Sunday, May 23, 2010

Noise Complaint at the Warehouse Next Door

Last year my friend Diamond and I took a road trip up to Philadelphia to scout out the new crop of underground Shoegazer bands at the 1st Annual Pop-Noise Festival. So underground in fact, that over the course of the 10 bands or so, Diamond and I realized that we were the only people there other than band members and their parents watching the show. I’d imagine that it was a tad embarrassing for the bands to have an audience of just two people, however that didn’t stop them from rocking out shoegazer style for about 12 hours straight.

Without a doubt, the best new shoegazer band we found that day was a band from New York called A Place To Bury Strangers (with the exception of Alcian Blue who we had to skip to drive back to DC). These guys rocked like nothing Diamond or I had ever seen. Ever since then we have been waiting for them to come to DC to play. In fact I even toyed with the idea of promoting a show with them on my birthday just to get to see them again.

Fortunately I won’t have to go through the trouble of convincing them to play my B-Day, because this Thursday, that’s right–tonight, they are making the drive down from New York to play at the Warehouse Next Door with The Uncut and Ceremony.

Interestingly enough, APTBS’s guitarist was one of the guys in Virginia’s own Skywave back in the day. While the other guys from Skywave are now in tonight’s opening band called Ceremony. So tonight’s show will be sort of an unofficial Skywave reunion. I wonder if we will be lucky enough to hear them play a few songs together?

Either way, I am totally fucking thrilled that A Place To Bury Strangers is making the trek down here to play. It is indeed a rare treat. (But don’t sweat it if you can’t make it tonight because there is a rumour of an Alcian Blue/APTBS show sometime in May.)

A Place To Bury Strangers w/ The Uncut and Ceremony
@ The Warehouse Next Door – 1021 7th st. NW
Doors 8:30

Originally published on April 28, 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment