Friday, May 21, 2010

Powerhouse Performance by Polly Jean

I reluctantly took an extra ticket last night to go see PJ Harvey at the 930 Club and boy am I glad I did. I say reluctantly because I gave up on PJ Harvey after that song “Down by the Water” she put out a few years ago. I didn’t like it at all and assumed the rest of “To Bring You My Love” would be songs in the same vein. Namely not the raucous passion, unbridled guitar angst and supremely bitching vocals that I fell in love with on “Dry”, “Rid of Me” and the excellent “4-Track Demos”. So it’s been a few years since I gave old Polly Jean a listen.

The show last night was so f*cking powerful it’s forced me to reexamine my previous abandonment of her music and now I’m hell-bent on buying the three albums I skipped ASAP. This show was a powerful spectacle of fire and passion, PJ tore the roof of the club with her ultra-loud totally rocking backing band and her fiery she-demon vocals.

Seriously, to anyone out there who might be reading from the West Coast, Hurricane PJ is headed your way. Either board up your windows or do what I did last night, go out and dance in the eye of the storm!

Originally published on October 14, 2004.

No comments:

Post a Comment